2.13.2014

(review) Language in the Blood by Angela Lockwood

Language in the Blood by Angela Lockwood
Release date: August 16 2013
Publisher: Self-published
Pages: 243
Source: Given by the author



Until the outbreak of the First World War, young Cameron Blair would have liked nothing better than to stay in Edinburgh and marry his childhood sweetheart. As the call to arms goes out, Cameron and his pals sign up to fight for their country. They are soon delivered into the nightmare of war, and there Cameron more than meets his maker. 

The story follows Cameron as he comes to terms with his new ‘life’, from his first days as a hapless vampire in war-torn France to the glamorous modern day setting of the Côte d’Azur. Along the way, he develops a distinctive taste for the finer things in life: jewels, yachts, small dogs and champagne-infused human... 


First of all, I want to say thank you to Angela Lockwood for sending me a copy, and how honored I am to be able to read this book for free. And in exchange, I would like to present my honest review.

As the blurb above said, Language in the Blood is about a Scottish vampire named Cameron Blair. Here we're going to see how an old fashioned and war-oriented guy jumps inside a modern life, where he develops lots of new things from small dogs to champagne-infused human (Yes, I know I copied it from the blurb. But I thought the word was cool and catchy so I'm using it anyway)

They're not joking when they told us that this book is going to be funny. Because it is. This is what vampire Cameron will say when someone gave him The Twilight Saga movie and ask him questions.

‘Why can’t you just jump up into trees too?’ he asked me, leaning nonchalantly against the wall and sipping his coffee.
‘I must have missed that bit in vampire school.’
‘You never have any fights with werewolves either,’ George went on.
‘Get me a werewolf and I’ll give it a try. Mind you I don’t think I fancy my chances. They have teeth, claws and everything.’
‘Sometimes I think you’re just a freakishly strong weirdo with pointy teeth,’ he said, laughing.
‘Pointy teeth that go in and out... and I have a daylight allergy... and don’t forget I don’t eat or drink'

Told you. And that's just one piece of it. Another thing that I love? How it was written beautifully in first person. I love first person. But unfortunately, it does feel a bit rushed even from the start. I do like Cameron for his funny side and everything, but I don't know if it was the too-fast-pace or what, but I just couldn't relate to him more than that. It's hard to explain actually, I enjoyed reading this but I didn't felt myself being dragged inside the story.

Nevertheless I still thought that this book was really enjoyable. Love the story line and the jokes about vampires climbing trees. I would still recommend this to you readers who love vampires but prefers a light and funny read instead.

Rating:
3 EYES OPEN (3/5)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!