5.08.2014

(review) Dance the Moon Down by R. L. Bartram

Dance the Moon Down by R. L. Bartram
Release date: November 27th 2011
Publisher: Authors OnLine
Source: given by the author
Dance the Moon Down
In 1910, no one believed there would ever be a war with Germany. Safe in her affluent middle-class life, the rumours held no significance for Victoria either. It was her father's decision to enroll her at university that began to change all that. There she befriendes the rebellious and outspoken Beryl Whittaker, an emergent suffragette, but it is her love for Gerald Avery, a talented young poet from a neighbouring university that sets the seal on her future.

After a clandestine romance, they marry in January 1914, but with the outbreak of the First World War, Gerald volunteeres but within months has gone missing in France. Convinced that he is still alive, Victoria's initial attempts to discover what has become of him, implicate her in a murderous assault on Lord Kitchener resulting in her being interrogated as a spy, and later tempted to adultery.

Now virtually destitute, Victoria is reduced to finding work as a common labourer on a run down farm, where she discovers a world of unimaginable ignorance and poverty. It is only her conviction that Gerald will some day return that sustaines her through the dark days of hardship and privation as her life becomes a battle of faith against adversity.



One word. Awesome. Love this book so much, so before I move on to my review, I want to thank Mr. Bartram for the amazing opportunity of reviewing this book! At the end, I still couldn't believe that this book is written by a man. Dance the Moon Down has one of the strongest heroines I've met until now.

Victoria, our main character, was happily married to the man she loves (who is also a poet, and I love poetry). She was a happy woman, at least until her husband left for war. Gerald always sent her letters, but when he suddenly stops, Victoria was left with no family, no penny, and no idea if her husband was alive or not. And then it was all about survival, finding out about her husband, and lots of other stuff! (that you'll find out about yourself when you read the book)

I know I'm not into historical fiction, I mean I still read them but they're not my favorite. But the moment I read the blurb of this book, it was like begging me "Read me! Read me!" and that's how it all started. Love the main character Victoria, love Gerald, love the other characters. And lots of love for the chemistry between Victoria and Gerald, which is super sweet! they are just... argh. (But then again, I'm a teenage-YA-addict-girl, of course I love romance)

Gerald raised his hand in a calming gesture. “If that happens,” he 
told her, “no matter what she does, no matter where she sends you, 
I will find you. I swear it,” he promised.

The thing that I love the most about this book is the writing style. I'm not usually into third person pov, but this book is an exception. Everything flows neatly with the right speed, the pace is not too fast and not too slow, at least for me. The plot? delicious. It was as if you were super hungry and this book was the most mouth-watering [input your favorite meal here]. The moment I started I just can't stop. Total page turner. And also, here's the thing, I know it is super hard for someone to be able to write in the other sex's point of view and making it work, once again I gave my salute to the author.

So yeah, overall, awesome.

Rating:

5 EYES OPEN (5/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!