7.22.2015

(Review) Starcrossed Series by Leisa Rayven

Starcrossed Series 
by Leisa Rayven
Release date:
December 23rd 2014 & April 28th 2015
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Source: Borrowed
Bad Romeo

Bad Romeo

When Cassie Taylor met Ethan Holt at acting school, sparks flew. She was the good girl actress. He was the bad boy about campus. But one fated casting choice for Romeo and Juliet changed it all. Like the characters they were playing, Cassie and Ethan's romance seemed destined. Until he broke her heart and betrayed her trust. Now the A-list heartthrob is back in her life and turning her world around. One touch at a time. 

Cast as romantic leads once again, they're forced to confront raw memories of the heartbreaking lows and pulse-pounding highs of their secret college affair. But they'll also discover that people who rub each other the wrong way often make the best sparks 

Broken Juliet

How do you fix a love that’s been broken beyond repair?

For years, Cassie Taylor tried to forget about Ethan Holt. He was the one great love of her life, and when he failed to return her love, a part of her died forever. Or so she thought. Now she and Ethan are sharing a Broadway stage, and he’s determined to win her back. Claiming to be a changed man, he’s finally able to say all the things she needed to hear years ago, but can she believe him? What makes this time different from all his other broken promises?

Ethan knows he can’t change their tumultuous past, but if he’s going to have any chance of being with the woman he loves, he’ll need to convince Cassie that her future belongs with him. 


I started to feel tired of my usual preferred genre, paranormal romance with badass female protagonists so then I decided to give a more settled contemporary romance a shot. I pass through this series and I was directly enchanted by the blurb. I don't know why broken hearts with happy ending attracts me. So I thought this sounds interesting. 

Boy this series did not disappoint! best. decision. ever. I found this series to be amazingly written. The concept of the story is simple actually, if I put it like this; Basically there are two characters here, the amazingly hot and kinda dark Ethan Holt (despite the blurb, I don't think Ethan is actually a bad boy, just a broken hottie, which is good and less typical) and our female protagonist—that are thank God not the whiny ass weak typical girl even though she might not be a badass too—Cassie Taylor. They both met at an audition to go to this top school and bam chemistry (no, not insta-love). Then they fell in love, Ethan broke Cassie's heart, Ethan realises that Cassie is the one, Ethan tries to get her back. That's it. Not so interesting when I told it but oh my God, Ms. Rayven is amazing. She actually manages to elaborate more about that simple plot and make it not uninterestingly stretched out (if you know what I mean, I'm having difficulties in trying to explain it) into not only one book, but two!

The story line moves back and forth from six years earlier back when they are studying together and in the present where Ethan is trying to win back Cassie. Even though it is not exactly told chronologically, I can actually see how their relationship grows. Not too fast and not too slow for me, which is perfect.

As if its not enough, I actually learn new things through reading these novels, like when Erika (their acting teacher) taught them for example. And there are also some quotes from the book that I didn't realise were true until Ms. Rayven mentioned it. Like this one in particular,

"Sometimes people put up walls, not only to keep people out, but also to see who cares enough to tear them down..."

I don't know if she got it from somewhere of if she came up with it, I don't care I love it. It had been so long since I actually felt sad that a book ends. Totally recommended for those of you who just love sweet romance novel with a great ending. Definite 5 stars from me! Leisa Rayven, congratulations you are now my idol. 

Rating:
5 EYES OPEN (5/5)


2 comments:

  1. Huh. Interesting. I read Romeo and Juliet this year at school and was not the biggest fan. However, This version of the classic Shakespeare tale sounds much more intriguing! Definitely gonna read them! (Especially because I doubt the characters die in the end, like Shakespeare's version...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should try this series out! Despite the title I think the book is not based on the classic romeo and juliet at all, so you may enjoy it ;)

      Delete

Share your thoughts!